Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The last words of the pigeon

Turkish-Armenian journalist-writer and activist Hrant Dink's last interview he granted to Ellen Rudnitsky and Mirko Schwanitz, International Organization of Journalists, two days before he was murdered:

"I have the right to die in the country I was born in"

(...)

Q. Could you leave this country?
A. You, of all people, saying that? My friends keep telling me the same thing. Enough of that. I want to carry on my cause here. It is not my own personal cause. It concerns everyone who wants to see Turkey a democratic country. If I surrender and emigrate, the shame will be on us all. This is the land of my ancestors. I have my roots here, and I have the right to die in the country I was born in.

And some stills from his funeral:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home